Sunday 13 February 2011

A few thoughts on kdramas

So I lost my Kindle charger in Korea which is my lame excuse for why I stay at home and watch Korean dramas all day. I could be reading Mark Twains autobiography which I ordered before I realized that my kindle has no power. Instead I watch mind numbing television all day.

The story line is always the same. Poor person falls in love with rich person. Usually poor girl and a rich guy. Guy's mother disapproves because she wants to keep the money in the family. Guy must choose having money or real love in his life. Best friend of girl always meets some other rich guy through the original rich guy. There is always one or two asshole characters that seem horrible but end up having some redeeming qualities.

There are also prerequisite scenes to a good drama:
-Girl is really mean to guy which makes guy fall for girl.
-Guy wonders how he can like a poor girl.
-Guy's mother screams at the girl to stay away because she is a hood rat (this part is my favorite).
-Awkward kiss (never steamy bedroom scenes)
-Girl gets makeover and guy realizes she is in fact pretty hot.
-Lots and lots of fighting between the love interests as they are 'fighting' for their love.
-In the end, the guy and girl ALWAYS end up together. There is no 500 days of summer ending here folks.

I watch these with a grain of salt knowing to expect more cheese than Murray's but one thing really really bothers me about these dramas.

Why do these couples fight so so much before they even sleep together ONCE? They fight so much for this fake relationship when they havent event tested the goods at all???

I know Korean society likes to pretend all love is chaste on TV (in movies it's a whole different ballgame) but can't you just allude to the fact that they slept together? You don't have to show me nudity but come on the 16 year olds in Gossip Girl get more ass than these people. Ugh, wake up people!

I can't lie though, I do love all the mashup youtube videos that fangirls make of characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment