Tuesday 8 June 2010

I heart quail eggs

I love how quail eggs are ubiquitous here. I love all eggs, always have-chicken, duck, quail, fish. If you gave me a lizard egg I probably would try it since I've liked the potential unborn offspring of all the animals I have tried.

It was such a treat to me in my younger days when my mom got quail eggs from Flushing to throw into various banchans (apps). I noticed recently my mom rarely does anymore and I now realize why. It is a such pain to sit there and shell them all. You have to shell about 4 to get the equivalent of 1 large egg and the shells are much tougher to peel. Doing it under water helps them slip off more easily. I suppose in my mother's later years she stopped having the energy!

I didn't really know what to do with them so I just boiled them and ate them with toast, American breakfast style. Still so good. I find their yolk richer than regular chicken eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment