Tuesday 8 June 2010

Subway Floors you can eat off of


The subways here glisten. I see women mop every evening. They even wipe down the walls everyday! Not just a cursory wipe either, like women sitting on the stairs scrubbing with brillo pad and actual soapy water. I have never seen a NYC platform be cleaned in my 8 years of living in the city. Why can't New Yorkers be as civilized?

I was with my friend waiting for the subway and I told her how amazing I thought Korean subways are because they're so concerned with the safety of their passengers. The glass partitions prevented people from accidentally falling on the tracks like what happens to Nyers all the time.
My friend looked at me dead pan, "Um no Lia, it's because everyone tries to kill themselves here"

Oh....yeah. You win some you lose some.

P.S. My friend wasn't trying to be cute nor funny, suicide is a big problem here. That may need to be another blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment