Sunday 31 October 2010

Zeitoun


I finished the book Zeitoun in a day. It is a very quick and worthwhile read.

Eggers uses the story of a man named Zetoun to tell a tale that juxtaposes the failure of the Hurricane Katrina response with the current Muslim American experience.

All proceeds go to a foundation which is also nice and good of Eggers.

I started The Corrections today because Freedom is all the rage right now and I wanted to start with Franzen's first book before I went on to Freedom.

I tried to read The Corrections in high school but put it down because I either go bored with it or I got high (there was a lot of that going on in 11th grade). I read a few pages today and I am already getting bored with it. The writing is just so...not my scene (that's all I can say about it because I am no literary critic).

Also, this is a very superficial reason to judge a book but Franzen annoys me for the following non reasons: he looks like a bourgeoisie New England snob, he was too good to be part of Oprah's book club for his first book only to accept it for his second book, and he has an extremely tooley demeanor.

I will try to ignore my conceptions of him and make it through because everyone who matters says he's GENIUS and a writing god. I hate labels of genius also. So much hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment