Sunday 9 January 2011

Is Korean too hot right now?

So Korean things are so hot right now.

Perez blogs about 2ne1.
NYTimes figured out that they have many, many Korean American readers and write a disproportionate number of articles about Korean things (korean fried chicken, korean cuisine, seoul).
David Chang has been one of the best chefs in NYC for a few years now.
Korean LA rappers (!) had the number one single on Billboard.
Korean BBQ is the new sushi.
Everyone wants a Korean LCD TV, Sony is shit now.

Which is really cool for Korean Americans. I think about the endless times as a kid being asked if I was Chinese (Um, fuck no). Now, I've noticed in NY that people ask me if I am Korean, on the first try! (Although oddly enough, in Korea people ask me if I'm mixed or Japanese, sigh)

We've certainly come a long way in mainstream America.

But this also makes me worry that Koreans are a little too hot right now. Are we to the aughts as the Japanese were to the 80s? Are we just a trend?

No comments:

Post a Comment