Saturday 19 February 2011

I am Now a Duck Person


I never considered myself a duck person. When it comes to meat preference, chicken is one of my least favorite meals, quail is OK, rabbit is pretty good. Duck, I've liked once and it was duck confit (I meas really anything cooked in its own fat has to be good, it's cheating).

But last night changed all that. I had Korean duck bbq and it was one of my most memorable meals of my life. It's up there with:
1) oysters and wine at aquagrill
2) store bought bread and cheese eaten on top of a medieval castle in the South of France (physical labor up a hill with an incredible view makes anything tasty)
3) my grandpa's samgyetang at various times(if you are special you have tried this, and it is out of this world)

Christina asked me where is the ONE place she should eat when she comes to Seoul and I think this maybe my new pick. You can get chicken galbi, galbi, bulgogi, all that in NY KTown. Duck Gui not so much. It is well worth it.

This place used real wood burning fire in your table (not the electric type) to grill rotisserie duck that has already been marinated and slow cooked for hours. The flavor of the duck fat grilled to a crispy goodness was out of this world.

You know when you have a meal and just know that you will be craving it for the rest of your life? This was that moment for me. It makes me want to stay in Seoul for another year. If you come to Korea, come here. Seriously.

Better Blog Post (In Korean) about this place

Map: Go to the original Gangnam Location

Duck and Duck sausage


I am going again the night before my flight. The restaurant is called 33 BBQ Hejanguk (which means hangover soup). Hangover soup is actually a spicy soup with cubes of congealed blood (like think of blocks of cheese or jello made up of blood, that's basically what that is). I always liked hangover soup, so I may need to get both. Will update you!

No comments:

Post a Comment