Thursday 11 November 2010

Best Neighborhoods in Seoul

My top favorite neighborhoods in Seoul in order:

1. Garosugil/Sinsa: Fashionable like apgujeong but smaller (more manageable) and with many great restaurants. Garosugil means Tree lined street, hence the trees.


2. Hongdae: I am from Brooklyn and Hongdae is a Korean BK so I am biased here. Hip, not trying too hard like Apgujeong and a college town.


3. Apgujeong: The Soho of Seoul with one of my top 2 favorite stores: Boy by Supermarket and Aland.



4. Itaewon: Used to be an army hangout but recently has transformed itself into a very cosmopolitan area of the city due to the proliferation of chic foreign restaurants. Left: IP Boutique Hotel Top and Middle Right: the new Commes Des Garcons store Bottom Right: Samsung Leeum Museum

Itaewon is also home to Passion 5, Homo Hill (the best area to dance to 2ne1), and Tranny Club (if you are into that thing).



3.1 Phillip Lim

Ann Demeulemeester


5. Cheongdam: Super fancy and bourgeoisie hood with beautiful cafes. Also home to Gucci, Louis, D&G, 3.1 Phillip Lim,and Ann Demeulemeesterand all the other top names. These retail shops are doing some cool architecture in the city.  I can't afford that stuff but I like it because it has Corso Como, the best store to browse at, and Cafe Mou, one of the most beautiful and elegant cafes around.



6. Myeongdong: Hate shopping in Myongdong in general because it is CRAZY PACKED but gets points for having my favorite location of the best store in Seoul: Aland. Aland also has a Doughnut Plant, 2 for 2! Aland has 4 locations in Seoul but the one in Myeongdong is by far the best. If doughnuts arent your thng, Myeongdong has a wide selection of shopping fuel including: dried squid, these fried potato swirls on a stick, fried sweet potato sticks, and yogurt cones the size of your head.



7. Sinchon: When you are in Sinchon you feel like you are in Korea for damn sure. Bars, restaurants, norebangs, love motels abound!



8. Bukchon/Samcheong dong: I love the traditional feel of this hood as well as the abundance of small art galleries, unique cafes, and restaurants. It blends old and new Korea very well.


9. Gangnam: Gangnam is last only because I don't really drink soju anymore. This may have been top 5 for me 3 months ago. I do still enjoy going to Tree Hof, Angus, and NB on occasion. The fake shooting range for stuffed prizes is unbeatable at 3 in the morning.



10. Insadong: Great traditional souvenirs and a wide selection of Korean food, tea houses and rice cake cafes.

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    I'm also from BK and I'm going to be spending a couple of days in seoul on a layover from Thailand. I'd love some tips. Possibly a cool/affordable accommodation in a neighborhood that doesn't suck.
    Thanks!
    -trevor
    Bedstuy, Brooklyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trevor, sorry I just saw this now! As a Bed stuyer, you prob would enjoy Hongdae since it's most similar to Brooklyn and convenient to go to Sinchon, Itaewon, and the Ewha area via subway. As far as accommodations, I am unsure since I lived with my cousin. I did stay at the IP Boutique one night in Itaewon (the American neighborhood) which was lovely. When my bf came we stayed at a love motel because they are the cheapest accommodations above staying at a hostel. Hope this helps. Feel free to email me at lia.joo@gmail.com if you have any other questions!

      Delete