Sunday 7 November 2010

My dad is a Fob

So my dad is a relatively chill guy, my friends think he's funny and want to party with him.

Despite this, he is super conservative. I wasn't allowed to sleep over my friends' places in high school (this somehow did not stop me from going to Exit) and he ran our house with an iron fist. Now that I am an adult and don't need to ask him permission for things, I forget that he is still a fob.

Conversation with dad:

"So I was wondering how you feel about me and Peter living together when I get back to NY"

"What is the point, why don't you guys just get married?"

"Well...in America you know, people like to see if they like living with each other. You know, testing the waters."

"If you want to live together, you might as well get married."

"Well dad, how do you know you can like being married to someone if you haven't lived with them?"

"I don't know Lia. Your mom and I did not live together and look at us, still married!"

"But dad I really really like him and you really really like him, what is the big deal?"

"I will think about it. You know I am a nice guy, but I am still an Asian man."

No comments:

Post a Comment