Monday 22 November 2010

Ice Cream Truck>Vegetable Truck

Every morning at 11 AM, the onion man wakes me up. Yes, I wake up at 11 to noon every morning, I am a bum. That is a different post entirely.

In Korea, we do not have ice cream trucks, we have vegetable trucks. These trucks do not have merry songs like Mr Softee but instead have a looping recording of the seller screaming "Onions Onions Onions for 10,000 Won" on a loudspeaker. This onion guy has become my alarm clock.

In my old hood, the vegetable guy sold many different veggies and also I could rarely hear him since I lived on the 7th floor a little away from the street.

Do people actually hear the onion guy coming and then put on their shoes, run downstairs and flag him down? Koreans use as much onions and garlic in our cuisine as Italians but this onion guy needs to take a rest. I thought there was a reason why ice cream trucks worked, reason being that kids are the only sugar crazed beings to actually flag down a moving vehicle for a treat.

I suppose he does eliminate my need to set my alarm every day. Thanks onion guy?

No comments:

Post a Comment