Wednesday 15 September 2010

Makgeolli


This was posted on my friends fb and his friend commented
Jin Yap is this dessert or soup?

This is ALCOHOL. Yes, looks like squash soup or maybe some creme caramel but it is actually an unfiltered rice wine called makgeolli.

I hate makgeolli. I think it tastes disgusting and also the drunkeness creeps up on you. It is fun in a kitschy way because you drink it out of a bowl.

Its a rustic old school Korean alcohol, wiki says "However, it has recently started to become more popular in cities, especially with the younger generations."

I do notice it being consumed a lot around these parts. Not like soju because soju is still number 1 here but it has a presence.

This is actually the first thing I ever got drunk of of. My grandfather gave me this when my grandma wasn't looking when I was 6 years old.

Thanks grandpa. Way to force your alcoholism on your only grandchild.

No comments:

Post a Comment