Thursday 9 September 2010

Yelling at Kids because that is my job

So when I teach, I rarely like to yell or chastise my students because I feel students want to study harder when they actually like you.

But when you have to throw down, you have to throw down.

My 12 year old wanted to use a calculator for her math homework. I was adamantly against this.

When you are in middle school you should practice what 8x11 is and know that it is 88. This way when you are 30 and you need to go math in your head, you won't need to use a cell phone. Hate it or love it, this is what middle school is for: the fundamentals for the rest of your life.

So today, for the very rare occasion I balled out my student because she insisted on using a calculator to find out what 12/4 is. That ain't gonna fly with me.

1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way Lia! I hate when I have to yell at my students but sometimes you don't have a choice! No worries though, they get over it :)

    ReplyDelete