Wednesday 15 December 2010

How to Teach Melting Pot to a non American

My 12 year olds vocab word was melting pot. This word is really weird to explain to someone living in a homogenous culture.

Me: So you know how America has lots of different people? Black, white asian? We all mix together to be one American culture. Like me for instance, even though I look Korean I have more in common with a white American than I do a Korean Korean right?

12 year old: confused look

Me: OK well have you ever eaten cheese fondue? You mix all different kinds of cheeses into a pot, you melt it? Pot, nembi you know? The cheese becomes one.

12 yr old: Chocolate fondue at Baskins Robbins!! (The korean BR here sells chocolate fondue pots)

Me: Yeah so like chocolate fondue, the people in America are all different kinds of chocolates and we melt to become one delicious superdip.

This actually worked, she got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment