Friday 3 December 2010

Rented Paebaek Hanboks are so F In Ugly

So when I get married I def want to do the paebaek ceremony which is the traditional Korean ceremony.

This is suppose to happen at the groom's house because traditionally the bride would go live with the man's family after marriage.

Breakdown is you get some wooden ducks (bc ducks supposedly keep their mate for life, not sure if I buy that), someone throws dates (symbolizing girls) and chestnuts (symbolizing boys) and the bride and groom catch them to see how many kids they'll have, there is a piggyback ride involved at some point, and you wear the royal hanbok (traditional korean dress) during all these shenanigans.

I have an issue with the hanboks for paebaek.

I love regular hanboks. The colors are bright and glorious, the fabrics are so old school and the whole cut of the dress is so impractical in a good way. It is dressing up back to an old time.

Super modern colors:

A little more Traditional:

Paebaek hanboks on the other hand are HIDEOUS. They are hideous only because we are in America. You have to rent a royal hanbok for American weddings and they are tacky and cheap looking.

How do you go from the above to:

I get that the rainbow sleeve thing is traditionally the style for a wedding. But hello?! It clashes. Royalty wore hanboks in bright colors and commoners were allowed to wear this style on their wedding day.

I refuse to rent. I am so wearing a commoner hanbok when I get married. Screw tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment